[geeks] this is where the mac should be

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Fri Oct 13 10:58:19 CDT 2006

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> I don't know about Cisco routers, but the XBox 360 and Wii both use IBM
> chips exclusively.  As will the Playstation 3, if it ever comes out.

Cisco gear uses both.  Routers use Motorola/FreeScale PowerQUICC on
occasion (17xx, 26xx), switches use (or rather, have in the past, don't
have access to anything current at the moment) IBM.

Catalyst 2900XL and 3500XL switches use IBM PPC403 embedded CPUs

Note that they aren't exclusively PPC; current low-end routers (18xx,
28xx, 38xx) use PMC Sierra MIPS CPUs, and the higher-end stuff (36xx,
37xx, 7200-series) have always used MIPS in one form or another.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com