[geeks] this is where the mac should be

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Oct 12 23:17:28 CDT 2006

Thu, 12 Oct 2006 @ 21:29 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo said:

> > I suspect the real reasons Apple switched platforms was something like
> > this:
> >    1) Intel's core logic has DRM (TPM), which makes Hollywood happy.
>
> Would be trivial to add DRM to any motherboard.  CPLD's anyone?

Not and make it enforcable.

The whole idea of systems like Palladium is to make your machine
dependent on a kind of public key system where you cannot use
your machine because its hardware will not function without calling
home.

The idea is to cripple your machine and give control over critial parts
to a remote entity.

Anyone with half a brain should reject that idea for a lot of reasons
that aren't even paranoid, but some people I've talked to actually think
it is cool.

> Much more likely are #2 and #3.  Small inventory = much larger cash
> flow.

...and faster time to market for new hardware.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The object of war is not to die for your
country but to make the other bastard die for his." -- General George S.