[geeks] Cheap refurb SCSI drives?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 09:11:33 CDT 2006

On 10/11/06, Rick Hamell <hamellr at gmail.com> wrote:
> They still have 146gb left at the same price. I just picked up ten of them.
> Now, to find a 68 pin controller that will fit into my first-gen G5
> PowerMac.
>
> I've got a Mylex Raid controller that sits in an external box and controls
> the drives, so if I don't find a controller, maybe I'll make a standalone
> NAS server of some sort.

The common Sun PCI Symbios SCSI card (LSI22801) with those funky
external connectors has internal 68-pin (and 50-pin) connectors.  That
card may well work in a G5, since it's designed for OBP.

Of course if you are a Solaris geek, it'd be a good use of a low-end
Sun PCI box + LVM for a cheap file server.

=Nadine=