[geeks] mail formatting (was Re: HD/IDE question)

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Sun Oct 8 10:18:31 CDT 2006

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 00:27:12 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> The problem is that in the 15 years we've been wanting to get past
> plain text, *NOBODY* has come up with a sane and well-designed
> standard for doing anything else.

Actually we've got the beginnings of one ... and you're using it! Nobody
has used the defacto standards to render email text in an enhanced way
(as far as I know) but there's no reason why it cannot be done. Making
words *bold* and _emphasising_ them has been 'standard' for years, and
emoticons aren't much younger. What else is really *needed* ?

Enhancing (and gracefully extending) text/plain strikes me as a better
method than introducing
text/with-all-the-knobbly-bits-that-only-works-in-my-mua.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
  One test is worth a thousand opinions.