[geeks] UPS batteries

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Oct 8 09:12:32 CDT 2006

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2006/10/07 Sat AM 11:59:15 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [geeks] UPS batteries

>I need to replace 8 batteries in my Compaq T2000 UPS.
>
>I thought about just getting a new UPS, but this unit is a full
>sine-wave UPS with 96% efficiency, and works pretty well.
>
>Does anyone have a favorite online battery story?
>
>ReburbUPS.com has a kit for this UPS for $126 including shipping, which
>is cheaper than a new 1500VA UPS from Best Buy.
>
>Does anyone think that maintaining this old T2000 is a bad idea?

I'm no UPS expert, but to my mind there are three parts to a UPS - the batteries, the electronics, and the interface. Assuming that ONLY the batteries are bad (the electronics are good and the interface is satisfactory), then I'd say the batteries are a good deal compared with buying new.

I'm in the process of going through my various UPS around the house and deploying them as needed - unfortunately I've left them off-line for so long I forgot what state the batteries are in so I have to test each one...

On the subject of UPS, I have a SmartUPS rack mount 700 UPS without serial cable, anything special with wiring it up to a Sun machine? I couldn't use a Cisco console cable could I (I want to run the 9 pin male on the UPS to the RJ-45 serial interface on a Netra T1 105, and while the cable will physically fit, I'd rather not damage either box).

Thanks,

Lionel