[geeks] mail formatting (was Re: HD/IDE question)

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Oct 6 15:37:10 CDT 2006

Fri, 06 Oct 2006 @ 10:38 -0500, Michael Parson said:

> > The thing that is frustrating with people doing this and also using
> > multimedia email is that there is no real standard for any of it.
> >
> > The normal way of doing this is to embed HTML and use that, but that's
> > not a valid email standard and is actually horrible for the job.
> >
> > The problem is that in the 15 years we've been wanting to get past plain
> > text, *NOBODY* has come up with a sane and well-designed standard for
> > doing anything else.
>
> What do you mean 'we'?  I've never wanted to get past plain-text.  But
> I'm a Luddite, I suppose.

Well, I like plain text too.  However, a lot of people like relatively
informal email, and if they are going to do it, I would rather it be
done with a sane standard.

For one thing, done properly those of us using plain text would still be
able to see and respond to the message.

> > I've never found any that can be updated as fast as people find new ways
> > to make simple things difficult.
>
> My macros are more to deal with the long-line and poor quoting problem,
> someone sends me html only mail, my vi macros can't deal.

I've managed to do that in vi as well, by using lynx.

However, I think it would be better to have mutt call lynx and pass that
to vi.

Some people have done macros for this, I just haven't gotten around to
it.

Mostly I just delete HTML only email and blacklist the sender.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than
the sage amongst his books For to you kingdoms and their armies are mighty