[geeks] Jobs?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 09:27:26 CDT 2006

On 10/3/06, Michael Parson <mparson at bl.org> wrote:
> I know it's not the norm, but I'm putting it out there.  My gig had a
> layoff today, and I, as the lowest guy on the pole in my dept, got cut.
>
> So, anyone know of any senior level UNIX admin jobs for a guy with 13+
> years experience in the greater Austin area?
>
> My resume can be viewed at:
>
> http://www.bl.org/~mparson/resume/

TEK is looking for contractors to work at the Oracle ASP facility.
They are doing a major hardware upgrade to reduce power and space
consumption.  It might be a little lower than you want, though.
Starting $/hr is $35-45 (and they are quite resistant to the high
end).  You can get medical out of the gate.  And it is contract to
hire.  Some is off-shift (4x 10 Thurs-Sun).  I can hand you to a
recruiter if you'd like.

I've been talking to them, but they expect me to be in Austin 3 weeks
after acceptance, and I'm leary of committing to that with the fact
that I have to give 2 weeks notice and am currently spending 13-14
hours at work and commuting.  1 week to get my shizzle together and
get to Austin seems at bit killer.

However, I found out today that my idiot boss didn't verify with OPM
that my civilian clearance had been completed and activated, so I may
get sent home since that's a requirement of their contract with
$gov_agency I work for.

I'm interested in the Austin job b/c I want to go back to school so I
can switch careers.

According to the latest job stats, there's more growth in Dallas, so
you might want to look there as well, depending on your custody
arrangement.

Good luck--
=Nadine=