[geeks] syslog not logging user logins

Jeff Cole jeff at flambe.org
Tue Oct 3 09:02:32 CDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 11:52:35PM -0700, William Kirkland wrote:
> The typical place for login/logout events to be logged is in wtmp on
> most unix nodes.  You should be able to confirm this by checking the
> man page.

I'm aware of wtmp. That's not good enough for FISMA though. We have to
log both failed and successful logins to /var/adm/messages. Don't get me
started on some of the asinine things that they flag with their "one
size fits all unix flavors and versions" tool.

--
It's not working because:  heavy gravity fluctuation, move computer to floor rapidly