[geeks] Testing a Sun 8mm tape drive - advice?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Oct 2 14:16:45 CDT 2006

Hello all,

As part of my "big rescue" I got a few 8mm tape drives in uni-pack cases which I would like to test. As I am without any 8mm data, I wonder if I can use 8mm tapes from Best Buy (intended for 8mm digital camera use), or does it need to be a "data" tape.

If I can confirm they work, I'm happy to get "data" tapes, but can I test with a "video" tape? Also, any advice on cleaning tapes? (What to use, where to get them, etc.)

Also, I could use some 68 pin SCSI cables to connect "wide" uni-packs to Ultra 2 bases - pointers for reasonable cables for home use (I don't want $50 cables to lash together two $20 machines ;^)

Thanks in advance,

Lionel