[geeks] $100 One Laptop Per Child - grist for the mill

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Nov 19 01:14:26 CST 2006

On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 11:01:38PM -0500, Robert Brooke Gravitt wrote:
> The amount of money spent on computer/laptop programs in this country
> is staggering. The benefits are arguable. The shortage of textbooks
> and decrease in scores in subjects like math and science (which might
> seem to be the ones most likely to benefit) is real.
>
> I can see this as a very noble and well-intentioned idea, but my
> guess is that it's a bit premature for laptops. In many of the
> African countries, computer literacy is not the issue. There are
> educated folks who are struggling obtaining the basic personal needs
> & societal breakdown, due to war or famine. The computers aren't
> going to help there.

I don't see them has having anything to do with computer literacy,
I see them as a way of providing access to large amounts of data,
eductional programs such as reading and simple math, etc.

A $100 or even a $5 laptop is not going to solve the worlds problems.

BUT if you can use it to improve the education of a billion people in
China, India and Africa, that's quite a difference.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838