[geeks] Opinions on the HP C3x00?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Mar 31 16:13:54 CST 2006

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 16:00:33 -0500
Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> > I may get a Sun E3k5. Not faster per CPU, but kernel comiles scale
> > good on multiple CPUs and E3k5 usually has multiple CPUs. ;-)
> Would you be building NetBSD from on top of Solaris then?
Yes. You can cross build NetBSD on any POSIX system. Recently there was
a minor bug fixed that broke the Solaris 10 => NetBSD X-build. AFAIK
there are quite some people building NetBSD on Mac OSX. I have done it
on IRIX64, Linux/i386 and Linux/hppa. (And of course I build NetBSD on
NetBSD across all CPU, platform, endianes and LP32 / LP64 boundaries.)

My current "machine of desire" is a Blade 1000, maybe a 2000. As NetBSD
doesn't support US III at the moment this is also a good chance to
improve my (nearly non existent) Solaris knowledge. A 750, maybe 900,
MHz US III would be a nice speed boost. Even more if I can get two of
them. :-)))

The more weird: My current project is to bring NetBSD to the CHRP
RS/6000. (Once again. I tried this before, but faild. This time I have
some help.) This work is done on a Sun running NetBSD. Depending on how
things evolve this will continue on a Sun running Solaris or a HP9000
running HPsUX. This is real cross platform developement. ;-)
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen