[geeks] Opinions on the HP C3x00?

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Fri Mar 31 13:25:46 CST 2006

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 08:50:54PM +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> Anyway. At the Unix-AG we have about half a dozen B2600. We are going to
> install HPsUX on some of them and see how it works. It can't be worse
> then Debilian Linsux. OK, enough OS bashing for today. ;-)

Anything against Alphas? I know MHz-for-MHz they're not as fast as PA-RISC
machines, but they have good support from the open source OSes and one can
use commodity PCI video cards with them (cards that are supported by
XFree86/x.org).

Just tossing the idea out there as I've recently acquired an AlphaServer
800 (my first decent-ish Alpha - a 500Mhz EV5) and I'm pretty happy with
it. Heck, even Firefox 1.5 is fairly stable on NetBSD 3.0 (strangely, it
doesn't seem any less stable than on an x86 system).

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://weblogs.turner.org.za/mj/
mj at turner.org.za    | Open Source in WC ZA - http://www.clug.org.za/