[geeks] Opinions on the HP C3x00?

Olaf Mersmann olafm at kimberly.tako.de
Fri Mar 31 09:47:13 CST 2006

* nate at portents.com <nate at portents.com> [060331 17:30]:
> > mozilla-19980728, ewww. No Firefox. No, thanks. No HPUX. I just can't
> > afford the time to compile fundamental stuff like a web browser, qt, ...
> > myself. Especially on a non-PeeCee, non-Linmux, non-GNU, non-???
> > platform, as such a platform asks for compile trouble.
>
> Could this be a solution?
>
> http://www.openpkg.org/

OpenPKG is nice and I use it on several servers, but it still requires
you to compile all your software (albeit its much easier to compile a
src.rpm into a bin.rpm). It should also be noted, that the package
selection offered by OpenPKG cannot compete with the likes of Debian
or the *BSD ports / pkgsrc trees.

It's sill very nifty - esp. if you want to customize the installed
software a bit since its relativly easy to modify the spec files or
create custom spec files for some package that is not yet included in
the OpenPKG distribution.

-- Olaf

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/x-pkcs7-signature]