[geeks] Opinions on the HP C3x00?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Mar 30 17:11:29 CST 2006

Thu, 30 Mar 2006 @ 17:28 -0500, Dave Fischer said:

> shannon at widomaker.com writes:
>
> >True, sbus was no speed daemon, but wasn't it better than ISA?
>
> isa 	 8 Mhz x 16 bits (actually much slower)
> sbus 	25 Mhz x 64 bits
> pci	66 Mhz x 64 bits

That's what I thought, though I could not remember the numbers.

ISA varied depending on the quality of the motherboard.

Some would only do 5MHz.

However, I had no problems with my old 486 running at 10Mhz, and I
measured transfers very close to that for real.

On the other hand, my first 386 had trouble doing 5MB/sec reliably.

The reason I picked out an 1540 and an ET4000 for SCSI and graphics was
specifically because both would run reliably at 10Mhz.

> Sbus was very good for its day. The fastest version of sbus was
> faster than the stock 33/32 PCI that most PCs used. And unlike
> PCI, you can get proper airflow over sbus cards.

So it seems that cg6 just isn't that great a card?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["We are all of us in the gutter, some of us
looking at the stars." -- Oscar Wilde]