[geeks] Macitude

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Mar 29 17:21:29 CST 2006

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 04:47:23PM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>
> > That's funny.  None of the PCs I use regularly do that stuff you
> > describe.  There is the occasional unreadable disc, but I think I'm
> > fairly safe in saying that no ring 0 drivers are installed.
> >
> > Maybe you are using the wrong OS on your PC.
>
> Which microkernel OS are you running that has all its drivers in
> userland?

I could be disasterously wrong (in which case it is good that I'm not in
the security field), but it seems to me that you don't need all drivers
in Userland only.  You only need for you OS not to autoexec code from
the CD.  And you need for users to not be able to install stuff outside
of their home directory by default (and for the OS to be on top of
patching userland security holes as they arise).

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/