[geeks] Opinions on the HP C3x00?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 10:22:32 CST 2006

On 3/28/06, nate at portents.com <nate at portents.com> wrote:
> How bad is HP-UX?  The way folks talk about it here, it sounds pretty bad.
>  I've been a Solaris admin, worked with IRIX, and run Mac OS X, NetBSD,
> and Linux at home (Windows for games, and older mothballed machines for
> running NeXTSTEP 3.3 on 680x0, PA-RISC and SPARC).  In college I did some
> VMS support.  Is HP-UX bad, or is it simply so marginalized that it's a
> pain to use because there's not much of a hobbyist community out there and
> HP could care less about UNIX on PA-RISC at this point?

It's been a while since I supported them hands-on, but the things I remember:

HP-UX NFS baaaadddd...like, even worse than single-threaded SunOS bad;
this may not be a show-stopper for you.
HP-UX lp/lpr would just stop talking to the printer server.
Restarting the local printer daemons would not fix it.  We never
really tracked down why this happened; sometimes we'd have to fiddle
with the printers.conf file to get the thing to work again.
(Admittedly, this happened on ASIC-design workstations--very corner
case.)

In retrospect, thinking about those things, it kind of makes me think
that maybe something in the network layer may have been at the root of
the problems.  I was a green jr SA at the time, so I just "fixed"
things and went to the next ticket.

On the other paw, I know for a fact that one there is a very large
presence of HP-UX in one branch of a recent gov't agency I worked for.
 And it's my understanding that there is a lot of HP-UX in other gov't
agencies as well (seems certain contractor companies like it).

=Nadine=