[geeks] What desk toy or "tchotchke" says "geek" to you?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 10:03:52 CST 2006

On 3/29/06, Mike Meredith <very at zonky.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 23:54:22 -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > I've talked to cops from over there, and they tell quite a different
> > story than the published "information".
>
> Yeah well, like an ex-copper once told me, the police are as capable of
> being complete morons as anyone else. Fact is most police in the UK have
> no wish to be armed at all times.
>
> Oh and I'd like a little evidence to demonstrate that data published in
> Europe is of a lower quality than US data ... and 'it doesn't
> demonstrate what I want' isn't evidence.
>
> > > This despite their names, locations, and low gun densities all being
> > > totally public information.
> >
> > The information from Hand-Gun-Control, Inc in the USA is totally
> > public too.
>
> So if information isn't to your liking it's wrong? Sounds a bit childish
> to me.

In some case, yes, information not to my liking is wrong, but that has
nothing to do with my opinion and everything to do with the factual
inaccuracy of the information.  Likewise, sometimes information I like
is wrong, for the same reason.

Go to the source and check the violent crime increase/decrease
statistics in .au, .uk and .ca if you'd like to set aside your biases
and check correlations rather than media fluff.  Likewise, go to the
FBI unified crime statistics and check these statistics for states
which are must issue CCW (VA, TX, etc) vs. states which are not (CA,
MD, etc).

But you know, some people are religious and won't be swayed from their
opinions regardless of the "facts" put before them.

=Nadine=