[geeks] Opinions on the HP C3x00?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Mar 29 02:08:49 CST 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 19:19:17 -0600 (CST)
"Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:

> The hack that sets a type 5 mouse to 4800bps rather than 1200bps.
Can you privide a pointer? google didn't show somthing usefull.

> I mean the machines whose keyboards and mice with an 8-pin DIN
> connector that typically talk 1200bps or 4800bps serial back to the
> host.
I would call that "the old proprietary keryboards" or "Type 4 / 5
keryboards".

> My graphics needs are (IMO) very minimal.  I was 24bpp or 32bpp color
> and -very- fast 2D.  I don't need 3D.  I don't need overlay planes.  I
> don't need video piped into the overlay planes that I don't need.  I
> just want a fast framebuffer.
The same for me. To me it looks GFX was never a domain of Sun. Most
other systems did (do?) better then Sun.

> I'd hope someone buys new equipment from SGI, or they don't really
> have much reason to stay in business.
The Altix seems to sell well. I hope well enough to keep SGI alive.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen