[geeks] Opinions on the HP C3x00?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Mar 28 23:39:47 CST 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, der Mouse wrote:

>> My graphics needs are (IMO) very minimal.  I was 24bpp or 32bpp color
>> and -very- fast 2D.
>
> That's hardly *my*, at least, idea of "minimal".  Minimal to me would
> be monochrome or at most 8bpp colour, and not "-very- fast" anything.

Next to the gamer weenies[0] that need over 100 frames per second of
hundreds of thousands of textured polygons rasterized onto a 1600x1200
display, my desires are positively spartan.  I realize that I could
easily get by with a very fast black-and-white framebuffer, but I see no
need to do that when the technology exists for me to be able to write
software and do web-page editing (along with the associated graphics
work) on the same piece of display hardware.

I feel I have reasonable demands.  If 14 year-old kids can have whatever
games they're playing running at a framerate above what their LCDs will
display, I don't want to be able to perceive screen repaints when a
window's contents become invalidated.  Blitting and region-manipulation
should be -simple- next to what goes on in rendering Doom 3 or World of
Warcraft.

But I couldn't -find- that on a Unix box outside of an SGI[1], so I
bought a Macintosh.  The Macintosh makes me happy like that.  OS X
doesn't feel like Real Unix, but it's slowly getting to be close enough.

[0] who seem to make up the majority if the video-hardware consumers
     these days.
[1] Not that I have anything against SGI, but they've been trying to
     kill IRIX for years now.  Who am I to argue with the suits who raped
     and pillaged one of the most innovative computer companies of the
     late 20th century?
--
Jonathan Patschke   )   "Let me hear you make decisions
Elgin, TX          (     without your television."