[geeks] What desk toy or "tchotchke" says "geek" to you?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 13:53:24 CST 2006

On 3/27/06, Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> > About eight months ago, I got LASIK surgery.
> >
> > One of the things that took a bit of getting used to was the ability to
> > see what the barber/hairstylist was doing.  Before, I could only see the
> > final product.  8-)
>
> I need to find out whether LASIK has advanced yet to the point that I'm
> a good candidate.  Around here, I understand the preferred move is to go
> up to the clinic in Montreal that pioneered it in the first place, and
> pay cash.

Yes, the Canadian docs have been doing it a lot longer, and the
wavefront laser has been in use up there longer than here as well.

The hubby got his done up in Vancouver for $1K/eye CAD back several
years ago.  He was very close to legally blind, and now is at ~20/40.
He still wears glasses, but the weight difference is such that he just
doesn't care, especially as he can go without them for walking around
the house and such.

Do your homework and read up on your doctor candidates' credentials
and the number of times they've performed the specific surgery you are
having done.  You want a veteran at it because they'll be more able to
deal with any oddities your eyes might have.

=Nadine=