[geeks] Opinions on the HP C3x00?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Mar 28 12:28:15 CST 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 nate at portents.com wrote:

> How bad is HP-UX?

PHUX is largely strange.  It's as strange as AIX, but arguably in a much
less tasteful way.  I'd recommend staying far away from version 10.
PHUX 11 is almost tolerable.  It's Unix, after a fashion, but it's very
much unlike Solaris and IRIX.

> Is HP-UX bad, or is it simply so marginalized that it's a pain to use
> because there's not much of a hobbyist community out there and HP
> could care less about UNIX on PA-RISC at this point?

Version 10 is really Bad--even folks I know who were part of the
development team agree on that point.  Version 11 is not as bad, but
hasn't much of a hobbyist following.

> I could believe that, but wouldn't using HP's compilers in HP-UX mean
> having to port opensource applications over rather than just
> recompile?  Doesn't seem worth it to me if that's the case.

I believe that, even in version 11, the compilers that are bundled with
the operating system are K&R C only, no ANSI.  Porting "modern" GNUish
software to that particular compiler would be quite an exercise in
frustration.

The unbundled compilers cost real money and are protected by a license
key much like Sun's compilers used to be.

--
Jonathan Patschke     )       Apple MacBook Pro
Elgin, TX            (     Now with Intel Core Duo