[geeks] What desk toy or "tchotchke" says "geek" to you?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Mar 28 02:52:45 CST 2006

" From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
"
" On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 09:10:38PM -0500, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
" > About eight months ago, I got LASIK surgery.
"
" I've heard too many horror stories about bad LASIK procedures and
" side/after-effects to trust my vision to some dude with a laser.
"
" I've worn glasses for years, and they're not that much of a hassle
" for me..

many years ago - '94 or so iirc - $ORK-N brought in a lunchtime
speaker from a nearby clinic to talk about laser corrective eye
surgery, a medical person not a marketing flack.  when she got
finished talking up all the benefits, i asked her if she would have
it done herself.

she said no.

i'm also concerned about screwups.  remember the carpenter's joke -
'i've cut it three times and it's -still- too short!'

i'm concerned too that since i do mostly close-ish focus staring at
tubes and paper that my slowly increasing presbyopia would accelerate,
and then i'd need glasses again...

" From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
"
"
" I had moderately bad nearsightedness (-5.5 and -6.0) and bad astigmatism
" (+2.5 and +1.25 with two different angles) and now my vision is better
" than 20/20.  On good days, better than 20/15.
"
" I see better than I did with my glasses.  The thing that took a *lot* of
" getting used to is having depth perception.  The astigmatism correction
" in my glasses kept me from seeing depth.  Now I can tell how far
" oncoming cars are and things like that.  I can catch a softball.  It's
" the first time since I was about six years old.

curious.  i'm also astigmatic and i've worn glasses since i was ten,
and my depth perception is fine.  no idea what my prescription is
though.

i've heard of other fortunates who get better than 20/20 with the
laser.  iirc it's not common though.