[geeks] What desk toy or "tchotchke" says "geek" to you?

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 20:36:44 CST 2006

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>> About eight months ago, I got LASIK surgery.
>>
>> One of the things that took a bit of getting used to was the ability to
>> see what the barber/hairstylist was doing.  Before, I could only see the
>> final product.  8-)
>
> I need to find out whether LASIK has advanced yet to the point that I'm
> a good candidate.  Around here, I understand the preferred move is to go
> up to the clinic in Montreal that pioneered it in the first place, and
> pay cash.
>
> I want my hawklike vision back ....

In what way do your eyes malfunction?

I had moderately bad nearsightedness (-5.5 and -6.0) and bad astigmatism
(+2.5 and +1.25 with two different angles) and now my vision is better
than 20/20.  On good days, better than 20/15.

I see better than I did with my glasses.  The thing that took a *lot* of
getting used to is having depth perception.  The astigmatism correction
in my glasses kept me from seeing depth.  Now I can tell how far
oncoming cars are and things like that.  I can catch a softball.  It's
the first time since I was about six years old.

Peace...  Sridhar