[geeks] Opinions on the HP C3x00?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Mar 27 18:19:18 CST 2006

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 06:11:04PM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> My prediction is that before this decade is out, Apple's use of TPM will
> snowball into TPM being everywhere due to the MPAA threatening to pull
> the content-creation/content-viewing markets away from Microsoft
> Windows, as Apple will be perceived as "doing more" to ensure that
> starving producers and media moguls don't go hungry in the face of
> millions of college students copying DVDs.

The MPAA controls content creation tools?  That's news to me.  See that
there is a growing volume of tools on linux, I don't see how the MPAA is
likely to have much effect there.

As to content viewing, it my my understanding that MS is already
completely DRMing up and bending over for the MPAA.  They are already
saying that Vista will play no HD content without a proper HDCP
compliant video card and monitor.  They are also saying that Vista will
not run any driver of any sort that isn't authorized and signed by MS
first.  So, no homebrew hardware under Vista (except for maybe USB
devices that can be driven entirely from userland).

Despite Apple's alleged use of TPM to keep their OS off of clone PCs, it
still sounds like MS is leading the way to punishing their customers
here.

I only say alleged because I can't find anything about continued use of
it now that the machines are shipping.  Perhaps they thought that a
slightly weird EFI setup was enough?

> Or maybe I'm just channeling the incoherent ramblings of John C. Dvorak
> today.

Maybe.

--
Joshua D. Boyd