[geeks] What desk toy or "tchotchke" says "geek" to you?

Chris Petrov chrisp at cse.unsw.edu.au
Mon Mar 27 02:23:17 CST 2006

On 27/03/2006, at 6:25 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 02:16, Chris Petrov wrote:
>> at no point did I say "ban handguns" I'm simply questioning the
>> rationale behind taking it to work with you and everywhere else you
>> go and to what end? particularly given the escalating rate of
>> depression in disaffected youth.
>
> Google "Luby's cafeteria shooting" .
>
> A woman inside that day saw both her parents gunned down in front of
> her.  Her car was just outside the door.  In the glove compartment was
> her handgun.
>
> That's why.
>
> --Patrick

Which is a terrible and tragic thing to happen and yes, her having
the weapon would have changed things... One thing I couldn't
ascertain from the various pages was

Did the "madman" have a permit?

You do make a valid point though particularly when I look a the
number of  of these sort of incidents in the U.S.

Respectfully
cp