[geeks] What desk toy or "tchotchke" says "geek" to you?

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Sun Mar 26 20:32:03 CST 2006

On Mar 26, 2006, at 20:21, Chris Petrov wrote:

> I've no probs with guns... like using them, had many different types
> etc. but,
>
> Every two years more Americans die from firearm injuries than the
> total number of American soldiers killed during the 8-year Vietnam
> War. In 2003, the total number of people killed by guns in the United
> States was 30,136.
> - Based on data from CDC National Center for Health Statistics
> WISQARS online data collection system, 2006.
 >
> that's a lot of criminals and outside invaders...

Your own disbelief notwithstanding, this statistic is /worse/ /than/ /
useless/ unless we know whether the guns were puchased legally or
illegally.

Also, http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/guns.htm says "The FBI's Crime in
the United States estimated that 66% of the 16,137 murders in 2004
were committed with firearms." This doesn't rule out accidents, though.

> they consume more lead than necessary? i.e. the Romans love of
> lead... lead lined vats for the sapa, lead lined aqueducts etc.
>
> Benjamin Franklin, Printer,1786
>
>      "The Opinion of the mischievous Effect from Lead is at least
> above Sixty Years old, and you will observe with Concern how long a
> useful Truth may be known and exist before it is generally receiv'd
> and practic'd on."

I have no idea what you're talking about here.