[geeks] AOpen makes SPARC notebooks?

Fri Mar 24 14:36:41 CST 2006

>> [...sparc64 laptop vs sparc32 laptop...]
> Even on the 32 bit sparc laptops, like my Sparcbook 3GX, NetBSD only
> really became viable in the past year if you follow -current.  It now
> has full PCMCIA support, APM, 8, 16, and 32bit accellerated X11
> (XFree86 + pnozz),

I don't care about APM.

PCMCIA I don't much care about.  If it doesn't work I can probably make
it work with little enough effort that I'd be willing to do it.  Also,
if there's enough onboard I may be willing to ignore it altogether.

But the framebuffer - the sparc32 laptops have framebuffers that aren't
interface-compatible with sparc32 desktops?  That could be a problem.

I'd like some acceleration.  I'd be willing to live with no
acceleration, if the framebuffer is well enough documented to use it as
a dumb memory-mapped framebuffer (preferably multi-depth, but that's
less important).

> and sound (output only right now).

Sound is no biggie for me.

Thanks for the warnings.  I'll keep this in mind when looking for a
machine.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca