[geeks] AOpen makes SPARC notebooks?

Fri Mar 24 13:17:01 CST 2006

>> I'd like a non-x86 laptop, particularly a SPARC, but trying to use a
>> sparc64 one would involve so many other problems that I consider it
>> more of a pain than not using a SPARC laptop at all.
> Would you enlarge upon that latter comment?

All my own machines run rather old NetBSD - 1.4T, dating from February
2000.  (That's approximately when it became inescapable to me that
NetBSD was no longer interested (if they ever were) in being the sort
of system I really want to run.  I still run it because I haven't found
anything closer yet.)

NetBSD 1.4T does not really support sparc64 (I've tried to use it on
U1s and U2s, and while it sort-of works, it's only sort-of).  So a
sparc64 laptop would mean I'd have to either make it run something
different from the rest of my machines, or I'd have to move everything
to another OS.

Either of those alternatives looks to me like more headache than just
living without a SPARC-based laptop.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca