[geeks] directv and tivo

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Fri Mar 17 19:02:35 CST 2006

[short version]
What is my best deal for a Directv Tivo?

[long version]
I've been a long time (6+ years) happy Tivo customer.  I've
been running my series 1 (originally 14 hours) tivo 24/7
all that time except for hacks/upgrades (mostly bigger drives
several times) and the occasional power outage.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a directivo Tivo but never
have.  The other day I decided I'd like to get one because
my cable company keeps jacking up their rates but I've discovered
that March 1st directv stopped selling tivos in favor of their
new (IMHO, crappy) DVR.  Tivo still works, but you can't get one
from them any more.

I don't currently have Directv, so I'm looking for a deal on
installation that will give me adequate channels (dish, multiswitch
and lines of coax) for two dual tuner directv tivos.  I also need the
tivos, obviously.  (ebay seems to be ok here?)  I live in a condo
and the installation has to be done by a licensed installer (not me)
so what's my cheapest route to end up with the hardware I want?
I'm not opposed to signing up for a year of service on the 2 devices
and would especially like to avoid paying for service on a basic
receiver I wouldn't use.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-DanD

# If 'everybody knows' such-and-such, then it ain't so, by at least
# ten thousand to one.  -Lazarus Long