[geeks] Commercial Password crackers

Ido Dubrawsky idubraws at dubrawsky.org
Fri Mar 17 16:25:17 CST 2006

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 02:47:20PM -0600, geeks-request at sunhelp.org wrote:
> Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 15:06:17 -0500
> From: Jeff Cole <jeff at flambe.org>
> Subject: [geeks] Commercial Password crackers
> To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>
> $ork is looking at password crackers so that we can evaluate our shadow
> files before turning them over to Security Operations for evaluation. I
> know of John The Ripper and Crack, but was curious if there were any
> commercial implementations of these or other cracking utilities.

For Solaris you're probably better off using John the Ripper.  L0phtCrack is
for Windows systems only and probably the only other decent cracker out there,
made by ElcomSoft, is also a Windows product.  John the Ripper has a very good
algorithm and there are places out on the 'Net you can get the john.pot files
easily (or you can ask me...I've still got mine which is about 5MB big --
along with a VERY large dictionary file).

Ido
Ido Dubrawsky, CISSP           		E-mail:          ido at dubrawsky.org
Network Security Architect			   idubraws at siliconsec.com
dubrawsky.org