[geeks] command line dvd to iPod?

Steve Haavik shaavik at soc.lib.md.us
Tue Mar 14 06:48:18 CST 2006

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> So what I really need is the command line syntax, or at least the
> specifications so that I can run mencoder from a command prompt. I'd
> probably wrap it in a PERL program that reads the title of the disk and
> encodes it to a file with the same title.

A quick search turned up this page.
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/creatingvideo.html

By following the steps in this tutorial, QuickTime 7 Pro will
automatically create an .m4v file containing H.264 video and AAC audio
that is optimized for iPod. iPod can play the following video formats:

     * H.264 video
       File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov
       Video: Up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240 pixels, 30 frames per second,
Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3
       Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio
     * MPEG-4 video
       File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov
       Video: Up to 2.5 Mbps, 480 x 480 pixels, 30 frames per second,
Simple Profile
       Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio

And a few more links.
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/the-complete-guide-to-ipod-video-formats-and-display-resolutions/
http://ipodlinux.org/Video_Player

This isn't quite what you wanted, but I'm planning on playing with it when
I get home. http://alltoavi.sourceforge.net/