[geeks] How is Solarix x86 on notebooks?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 12 21:53:08 CST 2006

>From: Aaron Finley <aaronfinley at gmail.com>
>Date: Sun Mar 12 18:42:27 CST 2006
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>, Michael-John Turner <mj at turner.org.za>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] How is Solarix x86 on notebooks?

<snip>

>Well, I was inspired by this thread, so I've been installing Solaris
>x86 on a Dell Latitude C800 I had laying around. So far so good,
>although it hung on testing the video card -- did recognize it as ATI
>M4, however. We shall see.

Sun used to have a set of XFree86(?) drivers for some more obscure video cards - I used it with Solaris 9 on a Toshiba laptop (had a NeoMagic 256 video card), not sure if this relates to Solaris 10.

>By the way, anybody want a rather mint Latitude C800 1 GHz? They have
>really, really, nice screens.

I am notinterested in your laptop, but I am amazed how well these older laptops hold up - I working on a now 5 year old PII-366 MHz system with 256 Meg RAM running WinXP Home (blech) - for casual use, it is fine, and the 14.1" 1024x768 display is still great. I bought a low-cost new battery for the laptop ($59.99) and with my eBay purchase of a secondary battery to go into the optical drive slot, I'm getting 3 1/2 hour uptime with WiFi card running... Not too shabby.

Now that I know Solaris 10 has some WiFi drives available (as part of the Open Solaris effort), I go back to Solaris on it.

Lionel