[geeks] PS/2 Keyboard/mouse 7 VGA over Cat5?

James Braid jamesb at loreland.org
Sun Mar 12 09:47:40 CST 2006

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've got a dual-head KVM that I want to deploy with my servers in the
> basement, and I was thinking it would be nice to have a "Head"
> upstairs in my office. I have unused Cat5e run from basement to
> office and I imagine there devices that will carry a PS/2 keyboard,
> mouse and VGA signal over Cat5e (not a KVM-based solution)...

Cybex made a product called LongView which let you run
mouse/keyboard/VGA/audio/serial/etc over a single cat5 cable.

A little box at each end (only one end needs power - it sends power over
the cable as well). They work well enough so long as you're not running
a super-high resolution. Should be able to pick them up on ebay cheap
enough now.