[geeks] FireFox: Please Shut Up

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Mar 7 10:02:03 CST 2006

Mon, 06 Mar 2006 @ 12:15 -0600, Michael Parson said:

> I don't like my computers to make noises in general, unless I'm doing
> something mutlimedia-ish, or playing a game where the sound enhances the
> play.

Same here.

The thing is, an alarm now and then can be useful, but some computers are set
up to chirp so much you end up missing the important alarm.

Internet Explorer used to drive me nuts, and several Microsoft upgrades
turned things back on that I had turned off.

Firefox does that too, and on my UNIX boxes. When I upgrade, I sometimes lose
little things like "middle-click" to paste a URL, and emacs editing keys.

> I turn off the noises on my TiVo, my Palm/Treo, and all default sounds
> under Windows.  The WM I use under *nix doesn't have any bells,
> whistles, or other sounds.  I don't even (anymore) use a clicky
> keyboard.

I have to have my clicky keyboard, but mainly because I can't find any
others that feel decent to type on.

One non-clicky keyboard I really liked was the original DEC workstation
keyboards for the Alphastation series. They were heavy like the IBM Model M
keyboards, but no click, and very good layout and feel.

I bought two, but they turned out to be the cheaper flimsy replacements, and I
can't seem to locate the real deal now.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The trade of governing has always been
monopolized by the most ignorant and the most rascally individuals of