[geeks] FireFox: Please Shut Up

brian.dunbar at liftport.com brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Mon Mar 6 13:13:36 CST 2006

>> On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, Michael Parson wrote:
>>
>>> Did you restart FF when you chagned that?  I tried it, worked for me.
>>
>> Ah, I did need to restart it.  I hadn't wanted to do that because of the
>> thirty-something tabs I had open.
>>
>>> Yeah, stuff like that has lead me to mute the sound on the system
>>> unless I'm purposefully listening to something.
>>
>> I like to listen to music while I work on code-ish things, which makes
>> unexpected noises all the more irritating.
>>

> user_pref("accessibility.typeaheadfind.soundURL", "filename"); // Specify
> your own wav file for the error sound, or use the string "default" for the
> default sound or "beep" for the system beep
>

> Use a .wav file with no audible sound for the beep?
>
> ~brian
> _______

>From http://www.mozilla.org/access/type-ahead/
There is a new Keyboard Navigation preferences panel, under Preferences -
Advanced. It contains a few Find As You Type Preferences, such as startup
options, and whether the timeout or sound should be enabled.

If you want to fine tune your settings by hand, Find As You Type uses the
following prefs as defaults, which can be changed in your prefs.js file:

<snip>

user_pref("accessibility.typeaheadfind.enablesound", false); // error
sound on? (it is currently off by default for Linux/Unix, on by default
for other platforms)

user_pref("accessibility.typeaheadfind.soundURL", "filename"); // Specify
your own wav file for the error sound, or use the string "default" for the
default sound or "beep" for the system beep

I focused in on the one part without reading the rest of the page in my
previous reply.  enableshound false looks like it would do the trick.

~brian