[geeks] FireFox: Please Shut Up

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Mon Mar 6 12:15:26 CST 2006

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 01:08:21PM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Mon, 06 Mar 2006 @ 11:43 -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke said:
>
>> How does one get FireFox to not make annoying sounds when a text search
>> fails?  The only relevant (ie: the only thing with "sound" in it)
>> preference I could find is "accessibility.typeaheadfind.enablesound",
>> which doesn't seem to do what I want.
>
> Interesting.  I never have sound.
>
> Is this in Windows? If so, it might get its information from Windows sound
> settings.
>
> Otherwise, no idea.
>
>> Whomever thought that software should make noises when doing something
>> as common as searching for text really needs to find an exciting career
>> in minesweeping.  Let's see how he likes unexpected sounds then.
>
> That's good quote material.

I don't like my computers to make noises in general, unless I'm doing
something mutlimedia-ish, or playing a game where the sound enhances the
play.

I turn off the noises on my TiVo, my Palm/Treo, and all default sounds
under Windows.  The WM I use under *nix doesn't have any bells,
whistles, or other sounds.  I don't even (anymore) use a clicky
keyboard.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org