[geeks] And The Linux Weenies Wonder Why They Aren't Mainstream...`

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Mar 6 10:52:32 CST 2006

Sun, 05 Mar 2006 @ 12:55 -0500, Phil Stracchino said:

> Are you *certain* that this is Firefox itself, and not library leaks?  I
> use Firefox 1.5 myself, but I don't use Gnome (or, at any rate, I don't
> use any more of Gnome than the minimum I can get away with to make
> Firefox 1.5 run).  And it doesn't ever bloat to 200, 300, 400MB.

You are correct that the libs leak, some of them really badly.

However, I've seen the Mozilla builds leak too. That's all I used to use until
recently, and they were pretty bad.

I do a lot of tabs, which seems to aggravate the problem.

So yes, it is worse if you use Firefox while Gnome is loaded (doesn't load the
Gnome libs unless you are in Gnome).

> I *DO* have some memory leakage problems on the machine. And it's all
> leaking from Gnome libraries. It did not *start* until I installed the set
> of Gnome libraries required by Firefix 1.0, and the leakage was not tied to
> Firefox. Gnome is not just Teh Bloat, it LEAKS bloat.

I recently decided to play with KDE.  It's less piggy.  For the most
part, KDE's pigginess seems to be genuinely from features.

However, it also has serious bloat. Amarok, a simple music player, regularly
breaches 100MB, and Konqueror defaults to running a copy for each window,
which eats 40-50MB per window. That gets expensive fast.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["It's a damn poor mind that can only think
of one way to spell a word." -- Andrew Jackson]