[geeks] Ultra-Portable UNIX

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 6 00:03:10 CST 2006

>From: sammy ominsky <s at avoidant.org>
>Date: Sun Mar 05 14:20:38 CST 2006
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Ultra-Portable UNIX

>On 05/03/2006, at 22:09, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>
>> Good thing you did not. Using a dish on a WiFi connection is illegal.
>
>Not sure where you got that from, and I don't have any specific
>sources to show it to be false, but I believe it to be.  The seminars
>I took on wireless networking included dishes, and I really don't
>think these guys would be selling as blatantly as they do if it were
>illegal (or unlawful, which is not the same thing):
>
>http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/antennas_2400_out_directional.php

If the radios are covered by FCC Part 15 (like I think they are), then there are specific limitations on the length of a driven element (one meter IIRC), and the input power level into the final stage of the amplifier (100 mW, agian, IIRC).

As I recall from reading the regulation a long time ago, the length of the active element is from the last circuit component to the tip of the radial.