[geeks] Ultra-Portable UNIX

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Sun Mar 5 14:21:44 CST 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 15:09, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> Good thing you did not. Using a dish on a WiFi connection is illegal. The
> guy that built the pringle's can antenna got away with it because he
> did it as an FBI agent.

In the USA it is not illegal.

You have to stay within the total EIRP and may home-build and use up to
5 antennas of any design.  In this case total EIRP would be higher
because it is a point to point link and not point to multipoint.

I have the exact numbers somewhere, something like 48 for PTP and 36 for
PTMP - so it would depend on the gain of the antenna plus the
transmitter power of the device being used.

You can even use a Pringle's can to make an antenna without doing
anything that is in any way, illegal.

--Patrick