[geeks] NNTP Server

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Mar 5 11:28:24 CST 2006

Fri, 03 Mar 2006 @ 17:03 -0500, Phil Stracchino said:

> Brooke Gravitt wrote:
> > Anyone have any experience setting up an NNTP server, such as INN,
> > Leafnode, or nntpcache?
> >
> > I've got a few questions about peering and/or just caching a peer locally.
>
> I've run INN for quite a few years, but stopped a few years ago.  From
> what I've been told about it (haven't actually run it), leafnode might
> be a better choice unless you're planning on serving feeds.

I have used leafnode for years now, and it generally does a good job.

I finally got tired of setting up things like INN, and find this works out
much better for me.

Leafnode normally only fetches groups you have read recently, so I wrote a
script to generate its "interesting.groups" folder so it would always fetch
certain groups even if I wasn't reading at the time.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [There is a limit to how stupid people really
are -- just as there's a limit to the amount of hydrogen in the Universe.