[geeks] And The Linux Weenies Wonder Why They Aren't Mainstream...`

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Sun Mar 5 11:55:14 CST 2006

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Sat, 04 Mar 2006 @ 01:17 -0600, Micah R Ledbetter said:
>

>>>I have a 2.0GHz CPU and 1GB of RAM, and it is blindly stupid that
>>>surfing the web and running a couple of office applications can kill
>>>my machine.
>>
>>I'm pretty far off topic here, but Firefox isn't *that* bad (for me).
>

> I regularly see it run over 200MB.

Are you *certain* that this is Firefox itself, and not library leaks?  I
use Firefox 1.5 myself, but I don't use Gnome (or, at any rate, I don't
use any more of Gnome than the minimum I can get away with to make
Firefox 1.5 run).  And it doesn't ever bloat to 200, 300, 400MB.

I *DO* have some memory leakage problems on the machine.  And it's all
leaking from Gnome libraries.  It did not *start* until I installed the
set of Gnome libraries required by Firefix 1.0, and the leakage was not
tied to Firefox.  Gnome is not just Teh Bloat, it LEAKS bloat.

 Phil Stracchino       phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Mobile: 603-216-7037         Landline: 603-886-3518