[geeks] Ultra-Portable UNIX

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Sun Mar 5 07:27:54 CST 2006

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 00:05:58 -0600, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:
> What is an HPC, you ask? It stands for Handheld PC, which were
> invented before the Palm IIRC. They have keyboards smaller than full-

By HP and Palm (if you don't take "PC" too rigorously) at least.

> A couple of cool ideas on my mind:
> - Wardriving. Obviously. Though you could go back to warchalking
> pretty easily, without having to lug around a painfully monstrous
> laptop (aww).

Whilst 'warwalking' with my Zaurus, it was always amusing seeing people
trying to do the equivalent with a laptop.

> That's all I've got. I don't own one yet, though I'd like to (when I
> can get the cash, that is). Discuss.

I've got the Sharp Zaurus C860 which is an approximate equivalent of a
MobilePro with a faster CPU, but much worse keyboard. I haven't used
it as a Unix machine as much as I thought I would but it has proved
convenient at times, and sees heavy use as a PDA. Mind you I don't
really see the need to be 'connected' at all times, but I don't do that
much travelling and when I do, I want to escape properly :)