[geeks] And The Linux Weenies Wonder Why They Aren't Mainstream...`

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Mar 3 12:58:49 CST 2006

Thu, 02 Mar 2006 @ 11:28 +0100, Frank Van Damme said:

> It can be hard to test your software under conditions you don't have
> access to (like having a dozen of different architectures just to
> compile your application on).

Most of the problems I see in FOSS has nothing to do with this.

The problem is more mundane: basic programming and design errors.

They love writing new code, but seem to have no patience for the truly hard
work of debugging and memory checking a frozen release. There seems to be a
complete lack of discipline in many projects, even those who are funded by big
business.

Also, many of these guys *do* have access to other systems. After all, Sun and
IBM are paying a lot of them to write this stuff.

> Khtml is *simple* compared to gecko. Actually, I don't get your point
> there. You're comparing a partly closed source browser for the Mac
> with an open source multi-platform browser based on a different
> rendering engine tp prove what?

The engine is different yes, but that's not all of the difference.

For one thing, Firefox suffers badly from memory leaks.

It also eats a lot of memory because so much of it is written in XUL and other
scripting code.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [Well, I have entered the "metallic years."
Silver in my hair, gold in my teeth, lead in my ass... -- Sheldon Hall in