[geeks] And The Linux Weenies Wonder Why They Aren't Mainstream...`

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Fri Mar 3 10:58:01 CST 2006

Speaking of MS Office...

I keep seeing stories like this in the news:
http://9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=bba5ae29-0abe-421a-0004-45540ffdc8c6&TEMPLATEID=0$
I just KNOW it was probably an Excel spreadsheet.

It happened at least once at a previous employer of mine[1] and wasn't
in the news, so I can only assume it happens more than we know.

What sort of brain dead security policy allows records to be in a
form where they can be copied to a portable device like this?

My wife's credit card was one of a number potentially compromised about
a year ago when records were lost in shipping.  At the time, California
was the only state with a law requiring such losses even be reported
to customers.  (We're not in CA but our credit union voluntarily reports)

-DanD

[1]  My information supposedly wasn't on it (not my branch of the
org chart) but a number of cow-orkers' info was.

# Do you know what a pessimist is? A person who thinks everybody as nasty as
# himself, and hates them for it.  -George Bernard Shaw