[geeks] And The Linux Weenies Wonder Why They Aren't Mainstream...`

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Mar 2 14:32:39 CST 2006

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> OK, a *FUNCTIONAL* clone of 123.  To my best recollection, it did
> pretty much exactly what 123 did, but with a GUI.

Except the workflow was different.  In 1-2-3, you chose an operation and
then selected what it'd attach to.  In Excel, you selected a targer and
then chose an operation.  Also, I think Excel's method of expression is
a little easier to read (ie: @AVG(A1..A10) versus =AVERAGE(A1:A10)).

Never mind Excel's built-in charting versus the bag-on-the-side thing
that 1-2-3 had until they finally integrated them in...what, version
3.0?

Sure, they -do- the same things, but how many different was can you
throw numbers and text at a grid and do arithmetic?

--
Jonathan Patschke    )   "Pain and misery always hit the spot,
Elgin, TX           (     knowing you can't lose what you haven't got."