[geeks] OS for an Ultra 2

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jun 28 12:32:35 CDT 2006

Wed, 28 Jun 2006 @ 10:15 +0200, Michael-John Turner said:

> On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 07:24:31PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > The primary reported problem was the giant lock performance issue, and
> > crashes in sparc64.
>
> Unfortunately the crashes on sparc64 systems are fatal - the system aborts
> to the PROM when spinning up the non-boot processor(s).

So I gather.

Really too bad, because I was hoping things would be better by now.

> FreeBSD is of course an option too - SMP works fine on 64-bit SPARC, it has
> fine-grained locking and the 6.x releases have received a lot of positive
> reviews.

Might have to give it a look.

I have Solaris 10 installed now, but I'm having second thoughts.

Version 10 has not improved on the ugly /etc and generally unclean and
overcomplicated nature of previous releases.

So now it boils down to: are the new toys worth keeping it for?

Well, that and keeping up to speed on Solaris admin.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["And in billows of might swell the Saxons
before her,-- Unite, oh unite!	Or the billows burst o'er her!" -- Downfall