[geeks] 3D desktop interfaces...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Jun 25 23:37:38 CDT 2006

Sun, 25 Jun 2006 @ 17:56 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

> [0] Changing directories unintentionally (especially in "columns" view),
>      putting items into a directory one level above the one I wanted
>      because I drug the files outside the boundaries of the name of the
>      target directory, -stomping- on a directory rather than merging
>      contents when I drag a directory into another directory that happens
>      to have a child with the same name as the directory I was dragging,
>      and just generally trying to be "cute" and "helpful" rather than
>      doing exactly what I want.

True, though I don't usually have problems with hitting my target.
Don't remember it wiping destinations either, but it has been a few
months since I used MacOS X to do that sort of thing.

My biggest beef with MacOS X is how it grossly violates the original
Apple guidelines about what an icon is.  MacOS uses pictures, not icons,
and as a result is somewhat harder to use.

An icon: I learn it instantly and use it with ease.

A picture: it can vary from slightly slower than an icon, to my wanting
to hunt Steve Jobs down and strangle him.

Problems I have, a lot, with Windows Explorer: it radically changes
behavior on a move operation depending on the destination and the file
types, how you have some options configured, and what extensions might
do (i.e. which are broken, etc).

local->local (devices) drags are a move.

local->other/remote drags are a copy.

Drag multiple types of files, drags can vary between copies, moves, and
links.  Nothing ruins my day like copying several hundred files, only to
find the result is a mix of copies, moves, and links.

Worse, the GUI in Windows Explorer makes it painful to undo that mess.

That's so bloody stupid I can't believe that in 2006, it still works
like that.  I'll bet Vista is the same way.

Sadly, all the morons tying themselves into knots to copy Windows for
UNIX systems often make the same idiotic mistakes.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak
is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime