[geeks] 3D desktop interfaces...

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Sun Jun 25 16:53:15 CDT 2006

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Sun, 25 Jun 2006 @ 15:40 -0400, Nate said:
>

>>What do you folks think of BumpTop and lowfat?
>>
>>http://honeybrown.ca/Pubs/BumpTop.html
>>
>>http://macslow.thepimp.net/?page_id=18
>

> Interesting.
>
> However, I never have thought that absolute desktop models were that
> great.  Not everything works best when done the same way we do it in the
> real world, visually I mean.  Nothing wrong with files and desktops, but
> when you start basing your *actions* on a real desktop, the abstraction
> begins to leak pretty quickly.

Agreed.

Frankly, both of these look like systems that are designed to prompt
immediate reactions of "Ooh! SHINY!!!" from people who haven't actually
thought about the problem, but which in actual use I would expect to
turn out to be bloated, unusable, un-navigable nightmares when it comes
to getting any real work done on them.