[geeks] value of PIII PC servers

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Jun 24 20:42:47 CDT 2006

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: Sat Jun 24 13:30:33 CDT 2006
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] value of PIII PC servers

<snip>
>Otherwise, I generally like most Intel boards, and Tyan's boards are
>usually good.  Asus for the desktop stuff, at least until I find out
>they also make higher end stuff.

At work we like Supermicro, Intel and Tyan - in no particular order.

The Supermicros are very nice, esp. if mated with a Suprmicro case - the chassis lights and switches come to an IDC 2x10 connector that simply mates up with the board and does almost everything - for other boards it comes with a pigtail that gives you all the individual connections.

They Tyans have nice features, including POST displays (2 seven segment displays) on the MB (great for when things go wrong).

Intels typically just work, but may not be the "fastest" MB for a given situation.

The MBs we end to buy are P4 boards, typically $100 (Intel) to $250 (Supermicro)...

Lionel