[geeks] value of PIII PC servers

Chad McAuley chizad at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 16:53:22 CDT 2006

On 6/23/06, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> The latest marketing information from Microsoft says that games will be
> a lot faster under Windows Vista.

Given that the display engine/display driver model has been seriously
overhauled since XP, I'm definitely willing to entertain the possibility
that this is true.  I haven't installed any games in Vista B2 yet, so I
dont' have any first hand experience with how it performs.  I may have to do
some testing this weekend.

On 6/23/06, Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> (Don't even get me started on the festering LeadTek piece of shit I
> purchased under the mistaken belief that it was a usable and stable
> video card for any game more graphically demanding than, say,
> Minesweeper.)

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has a hatred for LeadTek.  Granted,
my experience with them pertains to their Geforce 1/2 era cards, but they're
0/2 in my book.  First LeadTek card I bought was a GF1 (with the OMG so fast
DDR RAM) for the system I took to college back in 2000.  Shortly after I got
it the thing started developing (at first minor) graphics glitches and was
generally unstable with all but one particular revision of Nvidia's drivers,
and only under Win98.  I tried running
2000 with it and I couldn't find any combination of video
drivers/motherboard drivers/ritual sacrifices/black magic that made it
even remotely stable.  And
to top it off, later on the fan in the stupid thing burned up and died.

My other experience is the Geforce2 that was in my linux box until
just recently. I
wasn't doing anything fancy with
it, just a 2D desktop at 1152x864.  A job the 10+ year old Tseng
Labs ET6000 based card I probably still have laying around somewhere
could do without breaking
a sweat.  I was upgrading the RAM in the linux box the other day, and I
noticed that the fan had burned up and died on this card as well.  Now, the
first one I can understand, because the card was flaky to begin with and I
did quite a bit of gaming.  But this thing shouldn't have been generating
nearly enough heat to kill the fan.